With the weather cooling and the holidays in full swing, it’s hard not to want to cozy up with a blanket and a warm drink. We love holidays beverages just as much as you do but as you know, most are extremely high in calories and chock full of sugar.
In our recent post on ‘Finding Balance During the Holidays,’ we talked a lot about making smarter choices during the holiday season. There’s certainly times when you’re going to splurge, we all do, but why not substitute those high fat or high calorie ingredients with a healthier option. You might even find you like the healthier version better. Seriously!
That brings us to today’s delicious spiced almond milk recipe infused with high density superfoods. The recipe is fairly simple but we share some options for amping it up if you so choose. It is the holiday season after all!
WARM SPICED ALMOND MILK
This recipe makes 2 cups
2 cups almond milk
2 tsp almond butter (optional)
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp maca powder
1 tsp mesquite powder
1 tsp raw honey, coconut sugar or coconut nectar
2 shots espresso or strong coffee – for those wanting a caffeinated beverage
2 oz bourbon – for those wanting an alcoholic beverage
Things to know:
1. Coconut sugar or nectar are good low glycemic options for sweetening.
2. Almond butter adds healthy fats but you may want to omit to reduce calories & fat.
3. Maca powder: Maca is an adaptogen which means it has the ability to balance your body’s hormones naturally while providing energy, endurance and mental balance. It’s extremely rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, iron, potassium, calcium & fiber.
4. Mesquite powder: Mesquite has a mild, sweet, nutty, molasses-like flavor with a touch of caramel and a hint of chocolate. It contains rich quantities of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc and is an excellent source of the amino acid lysine. It is also high in dietary fiber and protein. Mesquite is a true superfood that satisfies hunger and stabilizes blood sugar levels.
1. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and heat to a low boil.
2. Remove from heat and pour into your favorite mugs.
3. Add sweetener to taste & enjoy!
Stay warm and safe this holiday season! Let us know what you think of our superfood infused spiced almond milk, we love hearing from you.
Happy and Healthy Holiday Blessings,
The Roots Team